Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Another Week of Walking.

Well hello there friends. This week I bumped my walking routine up a notch. I'm now walking three miles a day with Leslie, and believe me that extra mile made a difference. It only takes a few minutes more to complete than the two mile walk, but it really does matter.

I watched a movie last night, it's an older documentary call 10 mph. It's a documentary about some people who rode a Segway from Washington state to Boston Massachusetts. By only going ten miles per hour they were able to see the United States for what it really is, a place of beauty mostly and rather ugly sometimes too. People for the most part are good, and want to do good. This got me to thinking.....as you already know, I'm doing a virtual walk from Johnstown, PA., where I live to Disney World in Florida. Wouldn't it be cool to walk there starting this Spring? I mean really walk there. I'm a happy homemaker, so I don't have a job to hold me back from doing this. And I could actually pick up the Appalachian Trail here in Pennsylvania and take it all the way to the Carolina's, I think, and then just make a route to take me the rest of the way to Florida. I need to research this more, but it sounds like fun. I always wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail and if I spend the Winter training, as it were, then I think I could do this. Of course I would need to find someone to go with me because it's just more fun when there are friends to share the adventure with.

Will I actually do this? Well, I don't know, I would really like to but I tend to dream a lot. But then again, I tend to be the type of person who just does things on a whim. I really need to do some more research on this. Maybe I'll hike the entire trail, I think it starts in Connecticut somewhere. I'll be right back, I need to go check this out.

Okay, I just did a quick look up and found that it starts in Maine and goes all the way to Georgia, which is good because Georgia is right next to Florida. The trail covers about 2160 miles. I really need to give this some more thought and see if any of my Philadelphia Biggest Loser friends would like to go with me......really. It would take about four months to complete, I guess. I really need to find out more, because if we start in Maine and go south I wonder how early we can start without running into too much winter weather. I know here in the mountains in Pennsylvania, we can still have snow in May. I do know that most people who hike the trail, go from south to north, so they hit Maine in late summer or early fall. By going north to south it will be really hot by the time you reach Florida.

Just did some more research and found out that most people traveling north to south start in June or July and get to Georgia in November or December........Soooo.....I need to think about this. Most people go from Georgia to Maine because it's easier starting in the south, the weather is better and the southern end of the trail is said to be not as rugged. So as you progress north, I guess you would build up your endurance and stamina for the end of the trip. Starting in the north means you do the most rugged part first.....not that any part of the trail is easy. It's all serious hiking from what I've read.

Well, I'm off to do some more research on this and decide if I really want to do this. If I do decide to tackle this hike I have about 9 months to prepare for the trip, I think I can get ready in that period of time. So until next week I hope you follow your dreams and make them come true....even the little ones.

2 comments:

  1. wow thats quite a walk, follow your dreams and would be fun to follow here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's a walk alright. But I'm so looking forward to it. It's exciting for me to be in training right now and getting as fit and healthy as I can before I go. There is at least one other girl who will be going with me, maybe a total of four of us. Either way, it will be quite the adventure. I hope you follow along with us and share the dream.

    ReplyDelete